Use CasesMajor reductions in maintenance labor-hours and down time
Food packaging manufacturer
Customer's Needs and Problems
A pump is used in the process for coating a packaging film with an adhesive.
Conventionally, a precision gear pump was used, which posed the following problems.
- The pump’s structure is such that the liquid is transferred by multiple gears fitting together, so parts wear out during use.
- Pump maintenance is required once every 3 months, and the line has to be stopped for a day each time this maintenance is performed.
- Gear clearance adjustment and similar work requires specialized techniques, so this work must be outsourced at high cost.
The pump was replaced with a Smoothflow Pump.
- Smoothflow Pumps use a diaphragm method and have no sliding parts, so the parts hardly wear out at all.
- This pump can be used for 1 year or longer without any maintenance, which eliminated the down time.
- Work such as disassembly and assembly does not require any specialized techniques and can therefore be performed in-house, reducing outsourcing costs.